Second-generation intelligent tachographs
Bocholt, August 14, 2023
From August 21, 2023, the new DTCO 4.1 tachograph will be mandatory in all newly registered commercial vehicles over 3.5 tons gross vehicle weight.
The specifications for the upcoming versions of the digital tachograph as part of the "Implementing Regulation EU 2021/1228" have been published. The intelligent tachograph 4.1 (V2) is intended to help with the fulfillment of new requirements for cabotage and posted workers directive in the transport industry.
These requirements are described in Mobility Package 1 (EC No. 561/2006), among other things.
In the future, the new devices will also record border crossings via a satellite positioning system and ensure the mandatory ITS interface. The digital tachograph allows the authorities to monitor applicable regulations better. In case of doubt, they can read how many trips the vehicle and the driver have completed, when and in which countries.
What's new about the second generation intelligent tachograph?
- Automatic recording of location data
o when crossing borders,
o every time the vehicle is loaded or unloaded
- Recording whether the vehicle is used for the carriage of goods or for the carriage of passengers
- Transmission of data within the framework of long-distance communication, which is necessary for the purpose of targeted roadside checks of vehicles with suspected manipulated or misused tachographs. In addition to the data already transmitted with "Smart Tacho 1", data on exceeding the maximum driving time is now also transmitted.
Timeline for the introduction of the 2nd generation intelligent tachograph:
- August 2023: All newly registered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5t must be equipped with the intelligent tachograph of the 2nd generation.
- End of 2024: In all vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5t, the old analog or digital tachographs must be replaced if the vehicles are used in cross-border traffic. The intelligent tachograph of the 1st generation is an exception.
- September 2025: Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5t that are equipped with the intelligent 1st generation tachograph must also be converted. However, only if they are used in cross-border traffic.
- July 2026: Commercial vehicles with between 2.5t and 3.5t permissible gross vehicle weight must also be equipped with the intelligent tachograph of the 2nd generation. This only applies if they are used in cross-border traffic.
Do you have any questions about this news or general questions about our products and services?
Our colleagues in the TIS sales gladly take care of your questions concerns.
Please give us a call:
+49 2871 2722-0
Or send us an e-mail